Saturday, June 5, 2010

Leaving the Country with All That I Learned (5/21-5/22)

Friday morning was spent packing, including all the souvenirs I had bought during the trip. I intentionally got up early to go shopping one last time, but all of the shops were closed. I found out that it was a Chilean holiday, after I realized that the former and current Chilean presidents were speaking (one of our lecturers had mentioned this earlier in the trip). I was disappointed that I could not shop one last time, but was happy with what I bought. I went back to the hotel to relax since I already packed. As a group, we went out to eat for the last time. We went back to the hamburger restaurant, because the owner recognized us and was very friendly. It would be my last meal in Chile.

Before departing for the airport, a few more students stopped by the hotel to say goodbye. It was weird to think we would never see them again (although some said they planned to visit Pittsburgh, so maybe we will). The bus ride felt unusual. After living in a country for so long, it begins to feel like a second home. At the same time, I was excited to go back to the U.S.

In retrospect, things I will remember from Chile are the abundance of street performers, particularly during traffic lights. That was an aspect I was not expecting, but it was an interesting way to see a variety of talents such as juggling and dancing. Drinking was also a big difference, since students could drink at younger ages.

I also experienced difficulties ordering and shopping. It is hard to communicate with actual Spanish speakers and is something my 8 years of speaking Spanish had not prepared me for. ViƱa and Santiago both reminded me of a city but on smaller scales. Social differences were minimal, but they had later nights, easily going past four in the morning.

Chileans accepted us and were more than willing to talk to us, even in English if they knew how. My overall experience was a positive one and I look forward to traveling again. I would like to stay in a country for a longer amount of time in order to gain more cultural awareness and to better understand social differences. If I had the chance, I would love to go to Chile again, and hopefully see the incredible students and people that I met.

No comments:

Post a Comment